This years AY week theme is “Helping Hands Around the Province”, which is fitting for 2018 and promotes community-focused activities planned and organized by young people throughout the province.
AY Week is all about celebrating the accomplishments of youth leaders in our province and dedicating a week to the vision of Allied Youth: youth leadership, education on youth issues, service to schools and communities of Newfoundland & Labrador, and fun, healthy, and engaged lifestyles for young people!
Each post must hold an education session on a relevant civic issue, hold a welcoming event for potential members (Membership Drive), and partake in the “Fill ‘er Up Challenge”; wherein posts select a large object or space to be filled entirely with donations for a local cause – as well as other activities organized by the youth! AY Week is a province-wide event, with hundreds of youth members working toward the same goal of provincial benefit and recognition.
Previous Post Events include:
- Fill Er Up Challenge: Filling a large dog kennel with supplies for animals such as blankets, toys, food, and litter to be donated the Feral Feline Rescue & Rehabilitation Organization
- Education Session: On youth Homelessness, including a presentation and jeopardy quiz game!
- Membership Drive: Information booth in School Cafeteria on February 3rd – with free timbits!
- Proclamation signing at Town Hall
- Community Event: Partaking in the Coldest Night of the Year walk on February 20th
- Fill ‘Er Up Challenge: filling up the bucket of a front end loader,with used clothes for the Gathering Place and/or the Salvation Army
- Education Session: Storytelling and learning about the World Wars OR A Woman’s mission trip to Kenya (weather permitting).
- Membership Drive: An open meeting with cake, a photo booth, and time to explaining why AY is awesome!
- Signing the ‘AY Week Proclamation’ with the Mayor of Lawn
- AY Spirit Day at Holy Name of Mary Academy: wear AY clothes/AY Colours
White Bay Post
- Fill ‘Er Up Challenge: Filling a car trunk of cat food, toys, and supplies for the to be donated to White Bay Scaredy Cat Rescue, to be sold through their online auction!
- Education Session: Mental Health
- School Event: outdoor activity at lunch time for the whole school of Main River Academy! And a skating activity for the whole school as well!
- Multiple Spirit Days and Membership Drive: Theme days for students at Main River Academy featuring an AY spirit day to recruit new members
- Community Event: AY members volunteering at the community’s Fireman’s Ball
Grand Falls-Windsor Post
- Proclamation signing at Grand Falls-Windsor Town Hall – Tuesday, February 23
- Education Session on leadership & bring-a-friend Membership Drive – Wednesday, February 24
- Fill ‘Er Up Challenge: Filling up grocery carts at Sobey’s. Collecting food items for the local food bank! Thursday, February 25
St. Kevin’s Post (Goulds)
- Proclamation signing at Goulds Town Hall
Crescent Post (Crescent Collegiate)
- Fill ‘Er Up Challenge: “Prom Dreams” Project! Collecting gently used or new dresses/tuxedos/suits/shirts/shoes and accessories to be made available to graduates free of charge to help offset costs of graduation. Every graduate deserves to have their dream outfit and me proud at their graduation. This will be open to the public – any and all grads can pick out the items they need February 27th & 28th at Crescent Collegiate!
- Education Session: on Peer Pressure – February 23rd, followed by a dessert social and team building open to newcomers for our Membership Drive!
- Proclamation signing by the Mayor at Town Hall